World Day for Safety and Health at Work 2020 and Workers’ Memorial Day
The theme for 2020 is Stop the pandemic: Safety and health at work can save lives. With the spread of COVID-19, people and workplaces have rapidly adapted.
Governments, employers, workers and their organizations face enormous challenges as they try to combat the COVID-19 pandemic and protect safety and health at work.
The aim of the day is to stimulate national dialogue on safety and health at work and raise awareness on the adoption of safe practices in workplaces and the role that occupational safety and health services play.
Workplaces can reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19 by:
* ensuring good hygiene and cleanliness in the workplace
* implementing physical distancing, and
* using personal protective equipment as appropriate.
The duty of employers also extends to psychological health. This is a stressful time for all Australians, and employers must do what they can to reduce the psychological risks to workers and others in the workplace.
This is an unprecedented time for all employers and workers. Businesses should consider all the risks to psychological health in the workplace and carry out a risk assessment. Hazards can include:
* high or low job demands
* poor change management
* low support
* isolated work
* Increased emotional distress
Four steps for prevention of this include:
1. Identify – talk and listen to your team
2. Assess – consider what could happen if workers are exposed to hazards and risks
3. Control – eliminate the risk where possible through planning and prevention
4. Review – maintain and monitor these actions. It is important to regularly review and control measures to ensure they remain effective
You may wish to seek professional advice on your work health safety duties and how to meet them in your particular circumstances. Please reach out to us for further advice or information.
Stay safe, stay healthy, and be kind.
For more info, please visit: https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/media-centre/2019-world-day-safety-and-health-work-and-workers-memorial-day
Beneco specialises in return to work services for employers, employees and insurance agencies. Beneco uses innovative thinking to individualise back-to-work strategies that are sustainable across a variety of different environments.